Sunday, 12 June 2011

The Circus Is In Town

This was my response to an article posted on CNN.


Casey Anthony is not "Tot Mom." She is "The Accused" or "The Defendant." Nancy Grace's incessant spreading of this high-school mentality nickname defines the lack of seriousness being given this entire process, and shines a light on Grace’s insatiable gluttony for sensationalism over professionalism. And the more people complain about her use of this term (Google it) , the more she forces it into every sentence of her daily bawling. She seems to want two things - to offend people, or to get them to follow her lead. Either way, it all adds up to ratings.

She screws her face into a twisted grimace of toxicity, and then utters a term that seems more akin to playful affection between mother and child. The idea that she goes home every day and lets her children see her using the sweetie-pie term, “Tot Mom” to describe an accused murderer of a baby is an obscene visual. Nancy Grace should be ashamed of herself. The fact that CNN perpetuates this indecency by using her terminology as an opening line to this article is par for the course when talking about the circus-like theme of this trial. It IS a circus, and CNN (and Nancy Grace) are the ones selling tickets.

I will admit that I, too, bought a ticket to the “Casey Anthony Show” when it first started, but you know what? I am really losing my taste for the cotton candy. I don’t know, people - I look in the mirror and find that I feel queasy about the face that looks back at me. This is not the person I want to be, especially when it comes to how I deal with something as terrible as the murder of a child. I’m sorry CNN/Nancy Grace, but I can’t continue to treat this like a game.

How would you feel if you went to court to settle a traffic accident and some irresponsible TV broadcaster nicknamed you the “Whoops-a-Daisy Driver” because you said in court that you accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake? People start following the trend by calling you that name every time they see you at the store, or getting on the bus. And then the TV broadcaster realises how popular it’s made her...so she incites all the people in her audience to call you this name, too. And her ratings go up, and everybody falls in line behind her, and so begins the march.

The people in this trial are real human beings. Whether found guilty or innocent, Casey Anthony’s fate will be determined by the actions she has taken, and the same applies to me, or you, or Nancy Grace. What we say, what we do, and how we behave defines US and shapes our tomorrows and the tomorrows of our children, our society, our world. I’ve made the decision to re-define myself by ripping up the ticket and finally giving this situation the grave reverence it deserves.

CNN? Nancy Grace? “The Accused” or “The Defendant,” if you please.





No comments:

Post a Comment