Tuesday, 24 May 2011

Sigh

I've been looking in on the Casey Anthony trial today.  Sigh...

Should I be making popcorn?  From the protected distance that comes with television, this seems to be nothing more than entertainment.  I completely understand the dire reality of a small child losing her life, but this is not that situation.  This is the three ring circus that will decide the fate of those involved with the crime.

There's something unsettling about the idea of committing a crime and then daring someone to prove you did it.  I can't help but see the game in it.  The contest.  God forbid someone should feel so badly about taking a baby's life that they would own up to it and take the punishment.

On the other hand, the concept of punishment sometimes hits me in an odd place, too.
Someone does something bad, and has to sit in a room for the rest of their life, while we feed and take care of them.  The idea, I suppose, is that FREEDOM is a state of physical existence.
That if you are in a locked room, you are without freedom.

Duh.

Human beings are the only creature on this planet who have a thing about trying to control things.
Imagine one human taking another human who's done something objectionable, and making them sit in a room for the rest of their lives.  Ever see a lion lock another lion in a cage for fighting and wounding another lion?

Locking humans in cages is a weird concept.  Well, it's so they won't hurt anybody else.
Yes, I know that.  That doesn't mean it's not weird.

99% of the time, I don't understand the human condition.  I watch it, live it, and form ideas, but it brings me no understanding.  No peace.

What is left but to make popcorn?





No comments:

Post a Comment