Saturday, 28 May 2011

K-19 The Widowmaker

K-19 The Widowmaker - Movie Review



When I speak of movies off the cuff like this, I'm not very technical.  I don't go into plot details and characters on the first run.  Those details are for deeper discussions.  There are some movies I will go over with a fine tooth comb - you'll know them when you come across them.

With K-19, it was just a movie about mood and story.  I'm not political enough or technology-oriented enough to go into details of submarines, nuclear power, or global struggles.

It's on TV right now, so I thought I'd just say a few words about back when it was first released and I saw it in the theatre.  About how it felt and the mood it created in me.

It came out in 2002.  I went to see it because I've enjoyed submarine movies in the past.
Crimson Tide and The Hunt for Red October some to mind.  I've seen a lot of the old sub movies that came out during/after the war, but the more modern ones are so much more intense.

Submarine movies always strike me in a very strange place - the confinement is the big thing.  Isolation, and the potential for serious disaster.  Why would a person make a submarine movie if there wasn't any threat of the whole thing imploding on itself?

When the movie first started, I wasn't very enthused - it was cold and bleak and didn't pack the same OFF TO SEA rousing excitement as CT and RO.  But I was patient, because - after all - that's sort of the point with this story.  It's bleak.

When you go to see a movie about a true event, and you already know how it turns out, there's no mystery or expectation.  You just follow along and watch how the events unfolded.

By the time the crew was dealing with the radiation, I had started to get very claustrophobic, and that meant it was working.  As a story, I was in DEEP.  I remember feeling sad and cold, skin-crawly, and blanketed in hopelessness.  As I would on a submarine undergoing a nuclear malfunction.

The music is equally dark, and I like that just fine.  I'm a huge fan of soundtracks, and this one matches the mood with just the right amount of starkness.

In 1961, the real event the movie depicts was underway.  It was really happening.  That's scary.

Nuclear power was very scary in the 60s.

A sad movie to watch.  Sad to think of what the men went through.





No comments:

Post a Comment