Monday, 30 May 2011

The Day After - And The Aftertaste

I didn't actually GO to the U2 concert last night, but since the stadium where it was held is across the street, it felt as if I was there.

Though I don't dislike them, there's only one of their songs I really like - "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For".

They didn't play it.

Whaaaaa?

How could they not?

Oh, I don't know...maybe because they wasted too much time having the audience sing "Happy Birthday" to Amnesty International???

I have nothing against AI.  They do good work.  This isn't about AI.

But when a person spends a whack-load of cash to see a musical concert, I do not believe that their captivity in the stadium means they should be prisoners of the band's political propaganda. After the Happy Birthday song, they also showed political videos on the big screens.
Talk of political prisoners followed.

There was an eerie kind of "Oprah Winfrey" feel to it all.  Kind of a "Pied Piper of Hamelin" thing. The master speaks and you must follow.

Peeeyoooooo!!!

All this time could have been better spend in the singing of I STILL HAVEN'T FOUND WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR!!!

If I have to sit through the propaganda, they should pay ME to go to the show!

After speaking to some who were actually inside the stadium, I also learned that upon your arrival, there were people stopping you and speaking to you about AI. That was the only place where you could actually say, "No, thanks.  I'm here for the MUSIC!!!"  Once inside and in your seat, there was nowhere to run once the agenda-pushing started.

It was a similar thing at the Paul McCartney show I went to some years back...where there were people standing at the entrance, trying to get you to stop and listen to their rumblings on the evils of eating meat.

Hot dog vendors, normally out in force at these stadium shows, had been barred from peddling their wares in the presence of King Paul.

Somewhere in the back of my mind, the phrase, "Shut Up And Sing" drifts about, and I wonder if it might not make sense in these cases.

The U2 music itself was fine - I could hear every note as clearly as if I was in the bleachers.

When the propaganda started, I went inside and took a potty break.

Thanks just the same, boys.

Glad I didn't pay to get in.





No comments:

Post a Comment